Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Challenges

This week I wrote an article on the UNH college democrats, also known this years as UNH Students for Barack Obama.

I faced a few challenges trying to figure out how to write and report this particular story. There seemed to be so many angles, and different things going on that it was hard to find a center point for my story.

The biggest point however, seemed to be the push for the organization to reel in a large number of commit to votes--the groups current goal and most important task in the upcoming weeks that lead to election day.

There are various events and activities centered around the commit to vote goal that include grilled cheese sales, canvasing, tabling and clip boarding. UNH democrats is also in an unofficial competition with Dartmouth to get the most commits, and the winner will have the privilege of shaving whatever they want into the beard of the NH youth vote director.

Some of the other issues I faced writing this article, were that I was not allowed to say what the goal is that UNH has for commit to votes, or where they are at now. Also, Secretary of Health and Human services, Kathleen Sebelius is visiting UNH next week to trump for Obama. Because this is her only purpose in visiting UNH, I was also told that I cannot refer to her as the secretary of health and human services.

I am left questioning how to write an article eloquently so it is informative when you can't reveal specific details due to confidentiality. How do you still properly inform the reader? Is the article still worth writing?

No comments:

Post a Comment