I love the news. I love politics. I love arguing about currents events, and explaining what's going on in the world to my friends.
I believe that the news is the most important form of media. It is more important than literature, it is more important than movies, it is more important than gossip headlines and entertainment. It is more important than what's going on in our personal lives. It is the one thing that impacts all of us on a large scale, therefor making the presentation of it so important.
I would rather talk about what is going on in the world than what I just read in my literature class. I'm an English major, and I love the English department. I love to read, and I love to write. But I think that the truth is one of the most important things, and getting it out to the general public is crucial. I also feel that news writing is the only type of writing that is practiced in order to inform people of what's important. Not to tell a biased story, or create a new lens of perspective for which the reader to look through (at least that's how it how it should be).
I like to investigate and find out what's going on. I like to be the first person to figure something out. I like to figure out how many sides there are in a story, and what exactly those sides are, and I like talking to people.
So, in theory, do I think I'm a journalist? Yes. I believe that I think like a journalist, and I have the fundamentals to become one. I think that I am passionate about journalism, and realize how important it is.
In practice, I have a lot of work to do. I have been conditioned over the last few years to write "eloquently," to string together long beautiful sentences filled with big words and metaphors. One of the biggest aspects of being an English major is learning not only how to analyze and dissect layers of meaning, but how to create it as well.
Getting back to basics, and writing only what's necessary in the most clear-cut, straight-forward and articulated way possible, is turning out to be a bigger challenge than I expected. However, after years of confusion, I have finally discovered that journalism is the path I want to pursue, not matter how difficult it is, and I am determined to work hard to reach that goal.
No comments:
Post a Comment